Sunday, August 01, 2004

Modern Art

Alan, Joe, Todd, Jamie and I played our first game of Reiner Knizia's Modern Art Friday evening. Just so you're not under any suspense: Alan won. As usual. One of these days I'll play a game with Alan and actually beat him.

Modern art is a card game with an auction mechanic. Each player plays an art dealer, and auctions off various paintings by one of five (fictional) modern artists: Lite Metal, Yoko, Karl Gitter, Christin P., and Krypto. The game takes place over four "seasons." In the first season, each player is dealt a certain number of painting cards; more cards are dealt out in the second and third seasons. Player take turns auctioning off cards to other players. The auctioneer also takes part in the auction. The player that wins the auction pays the auctioneer, unless the auctioneer wins the auction, in which case the auctioneer pays the bank for the painting.

Each painting card has a different type of auction associated with it. There are open auctions, in which anyone bid in any order; once around auctions, in which each player gets one bid going around the table clockwise; sealed auctions, in which each player offers a bid in secret; and fixed price auctions, in which the auctioneer sets a price and the first player (again, going around the table clockwise) to accept it wins.

A season ends when a fifth painting by any artist is played; this painting is not auctioned. The paintings that were auctioned are then sold for an amount depending on the popularity of the artist. The paintings of the most popular artist, i.e. the one with the most paintings auctioned, are worth $30,000. Those of the second most popular artist are worth $20,000, and those of the third most popular artist are worth $10,000. Those of the two least popular artists are worth nothing.

The value of the paintings is cumulative over the four seasons: so if Karl Gitter was the most popular artist the first season, the second most popular the second season, and the third most popular in the third and fourth seasons, his paintings will be worth $70,000 at the end of the fourth season ($30K + $20K + $10K + $10K). So for the first couple of paintings the first season, you don't have any idea of what paintings will be worth, but after that you have some informations.

Like in most auction games, you win not by getting good deals (paintings that are worth more than what you paid for them), but by getting better deals than your opponents. Furthermore, since it is usually one of your fellow players that you will be paying for the painting, you don't want to pay so much that your opponent makes more than you do on the sale. For example, if you think a painting will be worth $50K at the end of the season, and you buy it for $30K, you've potentially made $20K on the painting - but your opponent has made $30K on the sale.

This was how Alan won the game. He hung back and let other players overpay for paintings; in particular, paintings that he sold.

The painting cards themselves are beautifully designed. It would be nice to have paintings from actual modern artists on the cards (I'd suggest Picasso, Modrian, Dali, Rothko, and Lichtenstein), but I'm sure that would make the game a lot more expensive because of copyright fees. The only complaint I have about the components is that money comes in denominations of $100K, $50K, $20K, $5K, and $1K, but no $10K. I played banker, and it would have been much easier making change if I had some $10K chips.

I hesitate to put a rating on the game just now, since I think that this game may well improve if all the players have played before. In an auction game, having just one player who overbids can throw a big element of randomness into the game, and we had several players doing that in this game. I look forward to playing it again with a group all of whom have played it before.

11 Comments:

At November 2, 2005 at 6:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brock Sides GREAT title Modern Art. I am actually looking for Horse Lover Gift related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other Horse Lover Gift related blogs. Thank you.

 
At November 2, 2005 at 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brock Sides GREAT title Modern Art. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com/ related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

 
At November 4, 2005 at 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brock Sides GREAT title Modern Art. I am actually looking for horse jewelry related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other horse jewelry related blogs. Thank you.

 
At November 19, 2005 at 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brock Sides GREAT title Modern Art. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

 
At November 20, 2005 at 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Brock Sides, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title Modern Art. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a horse jewelry related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my horse jewelry related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link horse jewelry. Thank you and I wish you well .

 
At December 8, 2005 at 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brock Sides GREAT title Modern Art. I am actually looking for carousel horse related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other carousel horse related blogs. Thank you.

 
At December 20, 2005 at 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brock Sides GREAT title Modern Art. I am actually looking for horse art related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other horse art related blogs. Thank you.

 
At December 21, 2005 at 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Brock Sides, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title Modern Art. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a Horse news related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my Horse news related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link Horse news. Thank you and I wish you well .

 
At January 3, 2006 at 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its an amazing story she posted about the . I heard about it at www.horseoutlet.com as well last week.

 
At January 17, 2006 at 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I have a fairly new website that has been online for about 8 months. I am doing research as per a fellow website owner suggested to gather information about delivering good content to my visitors. I lokked at alot of websites that are in my area white gold cross pendant . But was told to search the blogs that I could gather more information then just people trying to sale you something. I have done the internet MLM thing and really got disgusted at the whole thing. So my wife and I thought since we love horses we should build a website around that. We have done preety good so far but I always want to improve. I didn;t realize it would be so time consuming though. But we love it and hope to improve and offer some of the best recourses and products available. Hence the search for content new products and information about what we have.

Thank you for your BLOG.

Regards,

white gold cross pendant

 
At March 1, 2006 at 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Giving a jewlery to someone you care about is a message of caring. There are so many great local resources now for jewlery . It is easier than ever to pick up the phone or go online and find jewlery.

Another great site with a lot of updating information is http://www.aphroditesaccessories.com. Thanks by the way for such a great blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home